[Drand] Introduction course - Message for new Ph. D. students

Wolf Geppert wgeppert at fysik.su.se
Fri Sep 6 06:55:33 CEST 2019

Dear All,

In the name of our Head of Department, Jan Conrad and our Director of Studies, Per-Erik Tegnér, and, of course, myself, I would like to welcome our new graduate students  at our Department and wish them all  the best success for their graduate studies..

As the course organiser, I also wish  to draw your attention to our (compulsory) Introductory course for Ph. D. students. This consists of the following parts:

Introduction (1 October 2019)

Safety introduction for students at Fysikum (December 2019)

Academic writing (Spring 2020)

Project planning  (Spring 2020)

Research ethics (Spring 2020)

History and philosophy of Science (Autumn 2020)

Career planning  (Autumn 2020)

I am looking forward to welcome you to the introductory part of the course on 1 October. It will consist of a (compulsory) part for all Ph. D. students in the morning, a social lunch (free for attendees)  at a nearby restaurant  (Restaurant Cypern, Valhallavägen 50) and a non-compulsory introduction for foreign students that have not lived in Sweden before.  Please find the schedule attached. There will not only be lots of important information for you but you also have the chance to meet your fellow graduate students.

Concerning the lunch: Could you tell me a) if you attend and b) if you have any dietary requirements.

We are just organising the other parts of the course and I will keep you posted about the scheduling of the other parts.  Also the course website will be running soon.

I apologise for sending this message to all  Ph. D. students but I have not got e-mail addresses of the new Ph. D. students.

Best regards,

Wolf Geppert

Prof. Dr. Wolf Dietrich Geppert
Director of the Stockholm University Astrobiology Centre
Department of Physics
AlbaNova
Stockholm University/Stockholms universitet
Roslagstullbacken 21
S-10691 Stockholm
Sweden/Sverige

Tel.: ++ 46 8 5537 8649