[Drand] VB: Event on March 25th 4:00pm Soapbox Science and Scientific Fika – Hybrid Nordita Floor 6th Room Mega

Nadia Flodgren nadia.flodgren at fysik.su.se
Mon Mar 21 13:38:24 CET 2022

________________________________
Från: Jérémy Vachier
Skickat: den 21 mars 2022 13:37
Till: postdocs at nordita.org; students at nordita.org; okc-all at albanova.se
Kopia: Nadia Flodgren; Guilherme Franzmann
Ämne: Event on March 25th 4:00pm Soapbox Science and Scientific Fika – Hybrid Nordita Floor 6th Room Mega

Dear Juniors,

We are particularly delighted to announce that on March 25th, at 4:00pm, the Scientific Fika will have the pleasure to welcome Elisabeth Wetzer and Karin Steffen from Uppsala University to talk about Soapbox Science and their research.

The Scientific Fika is there to bring junior scientists from diverse horizons together around science in an accessible and fun way. This spirit is shared by Soapbox Science and on March 25th Elisabeth and Karin will first introduce us to Soapbox Science and second share their research with us. More information to Soapbox Science and Elisabeth-Karin research below

--------------------
--------------------
Soapbox Science

Soapbox Science is a public outreach platform for promoting women and non-binary scientists and their remarkable science. It is all about bringing cutting edge science to the public, in an accessible, fun and unintimidating way. Since 2011, Soapbox Science has grown from one event in London to dozens of events worldwide, and has involved thousands of speakers, volunteers and organizers. Scientists in all career stages - PhD students, PostDocs, Professors - are standing on soapboxes in busy public spaces so that they can be heckled, questioned, and probed by the passers-by in a fun, informal setting about their research. There are no screens, no microphones, only props, games, hand-on examples and whatever else is usable to shed light on the science and the passion for it.

The idea behind the event is shown in this video: https://youtu.be/wmBj_H0ub_w

If you want to learn some more about the experience of previous speakers, check out this nice video: https://youtu.be/kSJhaHkmj5A and some more impressions from an event in Umeå a few years ago can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=337eQoTLqkU.

Elisabeth
My research focuses on general method development in image processing, in particular for biomedical applications. This includes texture recognition, shape description, image registration, classification, and image retrieval. Currently I am in particular interested in applying representation learning to generate common representations with equivariant properties for multimodal imaging data. Applications of my research include screening programs for early cancer detection, or registration and cross-modal retrieval of images captured by different microscopy modalities to combine the information of these different imaging techniques. However, the methods I develop are general and applicable to a broad range of different data also.

Karin

Title: Diving deep into the ocean to study the oldest animals alive

Deep-sea marine sponges are the oldest extant animals and remain quite enigmatic to this date. Their body has no organs or symmetry and they live as sessile filter feeders, predominantly in the oceans. In my PhD, I investigated sponges from population level (i.e. across the entire North Atlantic), to individuals (producing a reference genome), to their associated microbes and molecules.
During the science fika, I’ll showcase some bits from my doctoral research highlighting why sponges are interesting to many fields of research (medicine, evolution, symbioses), what I’ve found, and open up for discussions.

Please put this date in your calendar, come to discuss interesting science and learn more about Soapbox Science.

Zoom link:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/68149127828

Place: NORDITA Floor 6 - Room Mega

Have a nice day,