[Drand] VB: Scientific Fika – Friday April 8th 4:00pm Hybrid Room Mega – Siska “Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? The realism/anti-realism debate in philosophy of science (or: yes, philosophers love terrible puns too!)”

Nadia Flodgren nadia.flodgren at fysik.su.se
Tue Apr 5 12:58:55 CEST 2022

________________________________
Från: Jérémy Vachier
Skickat: den 5 april 2022 08:45
Till: postdocs at nordita.org; students at nordita.org; okc-all at albanova.se
Ämne: Scientific Fika – Friday April 8th 4:00pm Hybrid Room Mega – Siska “Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? The realism/anti-realism debate in philosophy of science (or: yes, philosophers love terrible puns too!)”

Dear Juniors,

It is a great pleasure to announce that on Friday, April 8th at 4:00pm, Siska will talk about “Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy ? The realism/anti-realism debate in philosophy of science (or: yes, philosophers love terrible puns too!)”.

Abstract: Science is our gold standard to learn about the natural world, and our current scientific theories are our current best grasp on that world. But scientific theories posit the existence of theoretical terms like quarks, atomic nuclei, species, etc. How should these terms be interpreted? Are they meaningful descriptions of the natural world, or merely useful systematizations of observations? And if they are indeed meaningful descriptions of the natural world, can we ever know whether they are true, or must we remain agnostic? In this Fika, I will review some of the most prominent positions and arguments in the philosophical debate about scientific realism and anti-realism.

Please put this date in your calendar and come to discuss interesting science.

Zoom link:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/68149127828
Launch Meeting - Zoom<https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/68149127828>
stockholmuniversity.zoom.us
Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.

Place: NORDITA Floor 6 - Room Mega

Have a nice day,
Best regards,
Nadia, Jeremy and Guilherme