[Drand] Scientific Fika – Friday September 23rd 16:00 Room Mega – Nushkia ‘How to measure the size of a galaxy’

Nikki Arendse nikki.arendse at fysik.su.se
Mon Sep 19 09:14:16 CEST 2022

Dear Juniors,

It is my pleasure to announce this week's Scientific Fika. Join us on Friday the 23rd of September at 16:00 for a great talk by Nushkia and delicious Swedish pastries.

Nushkia Chamba

How to measure the size of a galaxy

Wait what? We still haven’t figured out how to measure the size of a galaxy?
Come for fika and I’ll tell you a story about how the development of imaging in astronomy, from the use of photographic plates in the 1930s to current CCD imaging, impacted the definition and measurement of galaxy size. You’ll get to view some of the oldest and newest deep images of galaxies and learn about a new physically motivated galaxy size definition that challenges our current understanding of how galaxies evolve. Excitingly, the new definition of size can be adopted in upcoming deep, wide imaging surveys such as Rubin Observatory’s LSST. So get ready folks, this stuff might show up in large scale catalogues of the future and then you’ll be able to tell others where it came from!

Place: NORDITA Floor 6 - Room Mega (in-person only).
Please put this date in your calendar and come to discuss interesting science.

We're looking forward to seeing you!
Nadia, Guilherme and Nikki