[Drand] ScientiFika 16/02 – Benjamin Wallisch - 'Particle Physics and Cosmology in the Next Decade(s)'

Nikki Arendse nikki.arendse at fysik.su.se
Fri Feb 16 13:27:58 CET 2024

Dear Juniors, this is a reminder of the ScientiFika today at 16:00 at Nordita. Benjamin Wallisch will talk about particle physics and cosmology in the next decade(s).

We're looking for someone to join the ScientiFika organisation committee! Reply to this message if you're interested or would like more information. Deadline: March 15.

Place: NORDITA Floor 6 - Fika area (in-person only).
Address: AlbaNova University Center, Hannes Alfvéns väg 12

We hope to see you there!
Nadia, Guilherme and Nikki
________________________________
It is my pleasure to announce this week's ScientiFika. Join us on Friday the 16th of February at 16:00 for delicious Swedish pastries and an interesting talk by Benjamin Wallisch, a postdoc at the physics department, about the future of high-energy physics.

We're looking for someone to join the ScientiFika organisation committee! Reply to this message if you're interested or would like more information. Deadline: March 15.

Benjamin Wallisch

Community Vision for the Future:
Particle Physics and Cosmology in the Next Decade(s)

We live in an exciting time for high-energy and fundamental physics broadly defined. Advances in particle physics and cosmology, theory and experiment, technology and computation, etc. have allowed us to piece together the most precise understanding of nature on the smallest and largest scales. At the same time, important open questions remain that will require further theoretical insights, and a wide range of large and small experiments to answer. Given the longer timescales and higher costs of these endeavors, the US high-energy physics community has been undertaking a community and prioritization study with global participation roughly every decade to plan for the future. In this broad talk, I will describe the outcome of the recent so-called Snowmass and P5 processes, the prioritized experiments and their scientific goals, and some lessons I learned from my involvement.

Place: NORDITA Floor 6 - Fika area (in-person only).
Address: AlbaNova University Center, Hannes Alfvéns väg 12

We're looking forward to seeing you!
Nadia, Guilherme and Nikki