[Drand] ScientiFika 12/04 – Joakim Flinckman - 'Symmetry & Redundancy'

Nikki Arendse nikki.arendse at fysik.su.se
Mon Apr 8 08:26:24 CEST 2024

Dear Juniors,

It is my pleasure to announce this week's ScientiFika. Join us on Friday the 12th of April at 16:00 for delicious Swedish pastries and an interesting talk by Joakim Flinckman about symmetry and redundancy.

Joakim Flinckman

Symmetry & Redundancy

I will discuss the notion of symmetries in physics in a non-technical manner and how some are actual symmetries, and some are mere redundancies in our description. The central part of the talk will be about a simple financial toy model that demonstrates a symmetry physicists call "local gauge invariance." This type of symmetry is ubiquitous in physics; e.g. it is found in both the standard model and general relativity. Intriguingly, the dynamics of this toy model is surprisingly determined by a physics equation famous enough to appear on T-shirts...

Place: NORDITA Floor 6 - Fika area (in-person only).
Address: AlbaNova University Center, Hannes Alfvéns väg 12
www.scientifika.se<http://www.scientifika.se/>

We're looking forward to seeing you!
Nadia, Guilherme and Nikki