[Okc-wp4] EO seminar on the 25th of January

Haakon Andresen haakon.andresen at astro.su.se
Thu Jan 18 09:23:59 CET 2024

Dear everyone,

Next week we will have the first EO seminar of the year. I look forward to seeing you
all there.

Speaker: Deepika Venkattu
When and where: Thursday 25 of Januar, 13:00 in A5:1003
Title: Radio supernovae - a low-frequency perspective
Abstract:
Supernovae are the explosive end stages of stars and despite being well-studied, they still pose unanswered questions. In the radio, we see synchrotron emission from the interaction of the supernova ejecta with the dense circumstellar material (CSM). With the onset of the Square Kilometre Array era, there is renewed focus on the low-frequency radio sky, with many technological advancements from the likes of GMRT, VLITE, MWA and the recent Very Long Baseline Interferometry pipeline at 150 MHz with the International LOFAR Telescope.
In this talk, I will present the topic of my PhD - exploring the nascent field of supernovae science at low radio frequencies with LOFAR. We will discuss technical challenges and my work using LOFAR to study supernovae in M51 and M31. Such low-frequency studies and technical advancements will help us explore existing research questions but also pave the way for new science at low frequencies.

Best,
Haakon (on behalf of the organisers )