[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar this Friday

Tue Sep 5 21:40:36 CEST 2017

All,

The astronomy seminar this Friday will be

*** Friday 8 of Sept from 10:30 to 11:30 at FC61 ***

Welcome.

Title:  The circumgalactic gas and metals around star forming and
elliptical galaxies

Speaker: Sijing Shen, Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics, Oslo

Abstract:

Understanding the baryon cycle in galaxies, i.e., how gas is accreted
onto galaxies, consumed in star formation, and ejected back to the
environment is crucial to understand galaxy formation and evolution.
Studies of the distribution, kinematics and evolution of the gas and
metals in the circumgalactic medium (CGM) provide clues to understanding
this baryon cycle.  In this talk, I will briefly review recent progress
on observational and theoretical studies on the CGM. I will then present
new results on the circumgalactic gas and metals around massive
star-forming and elliptical galaxies at z~3-0 from two suites of
“zoom-in” cosmological hydrodynamic simulations, and detailed
comparisons with observed Lyman alpha (Lya) and metal absorption data
(e.g. Mg II, Si II, Si III, C II, C III, CIV and OVI) in particular from
the COS-Halos Survey. We found that simulations generally reproduce the
distributions of of neutron hydrogen and high-ionisation metal ions
(such as O VI), but significantly underestimate the low-ionisation metal
species. I will explore possible reasons for the mis-match and discuss
the correlation between the cold, enriched gas probed by the low ions
and the warm-hot gas probed by O VI. I will also discuss the impact of
feedback from supernova and the active galactic nuclei (AGN).