[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar on Friday 20th of October

Mon Oct 16 10:52:58 CEST 2017

Title: What causes the solar seasons?
Speaker: Mausumi Dikpati (HAO/NCAR)

Friday 20th of October from 10:30 to 11:30 at FC61.

Abstract:
Recent observations indicate that solar cycle variability consists of
short-term quasi-periodic bursts of magnetic activity, or the ``solar
seasons''. Burst periods are 6-18 months. Using a nonlinear MHD shallow
water tachocline model we show that a back-and-forth exchange of energy
between tachocline latitudinal differential rotation and Rossby waves
occurs with a periodicity of 2-19 months, for a wide range of effective
gravities, differential rotation amplitude, latitude location of
toroidal magnetic bands and their peak field strength. These Tachocline
Nonlinear Oscillations (TNO) can cause enhanced activity bursts when the
Rossby wave energy grows to its maximum, because the tachocline top
surface is maximally deformed then. Hence, nearly 'frozen-in' toroidal
fields can enter the convection zone from the tachocline, starting their
buoyant rise to the surface to erupt as active regions. The bursty phase
is followed by a relatively quiet phase, during which the differential
rotation gets restored by extracting energy from Rossby waves and top
surface deformations subside. Our results indicate that the solar
seasons can be caused by TNO's. I will close by discussing how we can
forecast these seasons by coupling with data assimilation.