[Astronomy seminar] First astronomy seminar of the year, Friday 19/01 @ 10:30 in FC 61

Mon Jan 15 11:48:10 CET 2018

Dear all,
we welcome you to the first astronomy seminar of 2018, which will take place the 19th of January at 10:30 in FC 61 (6th floor).
Our speaker will be Dr. Francesco Taddia, from Stockholm University.

Kind regards,
Jorrit & Angela

Title: Core-collapse supernovae and their progenitors

Abstract:
In the recent years we studied a number of core-collapse supernovae (SNe)
from different surveys. We focused on stripped-envelope SNe (Type Ib/c and IIb), circumstellar-interacting
SNe (Type IIn, Ibn, Ia-CSM) and peculiar Type II SNe (1987A-like),
from the intermediate Palomar Transient Factory, from the Carnegie Supernovae Project
and from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. We investigated single events, large SN samples,
and the host galaxies of specific SN groups, aiming to determine the nature of the SN progenitor stars.
Here we review our main results, in particular those concerning the debate between single
and binary progenitor stars of Type Ib/c, the multi-channel progenitor scenario for SNe IIn and
the variety of 1987A-like progenitor-star radii. We also review the open questions concerning the
SN type <-> progenitor-star map and we discuss how we can address them using
the new Zwicky Transient Facily survey.

Angela Adamo

Department of Astronomy
Stockholm University and Oskar Klein Centre
SE-10691 Stockholm - Sweden
tel: +46 (0)8 5537 8556
email: angela.adamo at astro.su.se
http://ttt.astro.su.se/~adamo