[Astronomy seminar] Next astro seminar Friday 23/02 at 10:30 in FC61

Mon Feb 19 20:37:09 CET 2018

Dear all,

welcome to the weekly astronomy seminar on Friday 23/02 at 10:30 in FC61.
The speaker will be Prof. Elena D'onghia from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Because we haven’t yet a working online agenda we include here below a list of the upcoming seminars.

Kind regards,
Angela & Jorrit

Title:
Deciphering the Milky Way: dark and visible matter at home and at the edge of the Universe

Abstract
By providing information on distances and proper motions for one billion stars, the Gaia satellite will allow us to investigate the major unsolved challenges in galaxy formation: the nature of dark matter, the origin of Galactic spiral activity and its relation to the bar, and more generally the history of the Milky Way. Gaia will also reveal the nature of associations of stars with coherent velocities observed in the solar neighborhood. The origin of these systems, named moving groups, remains uncertain, but their dynamics and evolution hold the key to understanding complex phenomena, such as resonances in bars and spiral arms and ultimately the dynamics of the stellar disk. My research aims to develop a theoretical approach to modeling and exploiting the big data and address problems at the forefront of Galactic Dynamics at various scales. What is the origin of the spiral activity in the Milky Way? How are all of these perturbations to the structure of the Galaxy coupled to each other directly and through the dark-matter halo?  I will also present my ongoing work on statistical techniques of big-data analysis and advanced numerical simulations used to interpret the nature of stars moving in groups and discover streams in the stellar disk of the Milky Way.

Astro seminar agenda:
02/03 Sportlov
09/03 --
16/03 --
23/03 Florent Renaud
30/03 Easter break
06/04 Nina Almgren
13/04 Jim Dale
20/04 Brent Groves
27/04 Mickaël Bonnefoy
04/05 Sara Bladh
11/05 Klämdag
18/05 Anastasia Fialkov
25/05 Carolina Robustini
01/06 --
08/06 Esha Kundu
15/06 Matteo Messa
22/06 Midsommar
29/06 Summer break

Angela Adamo

Department of Astronomy
Stockholm University and Oskar Klein Centre
SE-10691 Stockholm - Sweden
tel: +46 (0)8 5537 8556
email: angela.adamo at astro.su.se
http://ttt.astro.su.se/~adamo