[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar on Friday June 8 at 13.30 in FC 61

Tue Jun 5 13:46:13 CEST 2018

Dear all,

This week’s seminar will be on Friday, June 8 at 13.30 (NOTE THE DIFFERENT TIME!) in FC61. The speaker is our own Esha Kundu, who will speak about "Radio emission from supernovae and its applications"

Abstract:
The interaction of supernova (SN) ejecta with the circumstellar medium (CSM) drives a strong shock wave into the CSM. These shocks are ideal places where effective particle acceleration and magnetic field amplification can take place. The accelerated relativistic particles, in the presence of magnetic field, could emit part of their energy via synchrotron radiation in radio wavelengths. The flux of this radiation is roughly proportional to the density of the particle in the ambient medium, which, in general, is shaped by the strong winds from the pre-SN star. Therefore, by studying radio emission one can trace the mass loss history of the progenitor star, and consequently can obtain important clues about the nature and the evolution of the star before explosion. In this talk, I will present a detailed modeling of the radio emission from supernovae and demonstrate how this study has enabled us to put tight constraint on the possible progenitor systems of two very nearby SNe type Ia, SN 2014J and SN 2011fe. It is found from our analysis that both 14J and 11fe were exploded in a tenuous medium, which makes it possible to rule out most of the progenitor channels, for these two SNe, which may lead the formation of a dense CSM. In the second part of my talk, I will focus on SNe type IIb and discuss how we are investigating the evolution of yellow supergiants by performing late time radio modeling of two core collapse SNe, SNe 1993J and 2011dh.

Cheers,
Angela & Jorrit

Jorrit Leenaarts - Institutet för solfysik - Stockholms Universitet - phone: +46 85537 8550