[Astronomy seminar] Next astro seminar the 09/11 at 10:30 in FC61

Tue Nov 6 21:40:19 CET 2018

Dear all,
welcome to the next seminar which will take place on Friday the 9th of November at 10:30 in FC61.
The speaker of this week is Prof. David Kaplan from UW-Milwaukee.
David is currently visiting our astronomy department for an extend period of a few months.
Title and abstract follow below and can also be found in the Albanova agenda.
https://www.albanova.se/event/astronomy-seminar-the-geometry-energetics-and-environment-of-the-binary-neutron-star-merger-gw170817-the-radio-view/

Kind regards,
Alexis and Angela

The Geometry, Energetics, and Environment of the Binary Neutron Star
Merger GW170817: The Radio View

I will discuss the major uncertainties regarding the geometry,
energetics, and environment of the first EM/GW binary neutron star
merger GW170817.  In particular I will look at the origin of the radio
emission, how it differs from the early-time optical/infrared
emission, and what that tells us about how the explosion proceeded.  I
will show how constraints from the radio lightcurve, polarization, and
Very Long Baseline Interferometry helped provide evidence for a broad,
mildly relativistic "cocoon" along with a narrow jet.  This
broke degeneracies in the gravitational wave data analysis to provide
inclination constraints and improved measurements of the Hubble
Constant.

Angela Adamo

Department of Astronomy
Stockholm University and Oskar Klein Centre
SE-10691 Stockholm - Sweden
tel: +46 (0)8 5537 8556
email: angela.adamo at astro.su.se
http://ttt.astro.su.se/~adamo