[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar *THURSDAY* at 15:00 FC61: Steven Longmore

Mon Feb 11 10:59:26 CET 2019

This week's astronomy seminar will take place on Thursday 15:00 in FC61.
Also, on Friday Matteo Messa will defend his PhD thesis at 13:00 in FA31.

Speaker: Steven Longmore (John Moores University, Liverpool)

Title: Investigating ecosystems from the centres of galaxies to those on
the verge of collapse here on Earth

Abstract: This talk will be a tale of two topics using astrophysical
techniques to investigate ecosystems. In the first half I will review
recent progress on an emerging, multi-scale picture of star formation
and feedback in the centres of galaxy, and efforts to synthesise this
into a general understanding of the mass flows and energy cycles in
(extra) galactic nuclei. In the second half of the talk I will discuss
how we are using astrophysics research techniques to help ecologists
save critically endangered animal species and stop peat fires that are a
major contributor to global warming.

All welcome!
    Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser VT 2019)