[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 29/3 10:30 FC61: Emilia Kilpua

Mon Mar 25 05:56:20 CET 2019

Astronomy seminar
================

Time & location: Friday 22/3, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Emilia Kilpua (Helsinki)

Title: Determining magnetic field in coronal mass ejection flux ropes

Abstract:
The knowledge of the magnetic field structure of coronal mass ejections
(CMEs) is crucial for understanding their early dynamics and eruptions
as well as predicting their space weather effects at Earth.  For
example, this information is crucial  for constraining the flux rope
parameters both in first-principle space weather simulations (e.g,
ENLIL, EUHFORIA and SUSANOO-CME) and in semi-empirical CME models. At
the University of Helsinki Space Physics team we are developing both
observational schemes and fully data-driven simulations to estimate the
initial magnetic field in CME flux ropes. Observational scheme combines
several indirect proxies, while our data-driven simulations uses a
time-dependent magnetofrictional modelling (TMFM) approach to estimate
the field self-consistently.  In this seminar I will discuss the “Bz
problem” from a space weather point of view and present the above
mentioned activities within the team.

Emilia will be hosted by Sanja Danilovic.

Other upcoming Friday activities:

5/4 (Fri) @ 10:30: Christian Herenz (SU)
12/4 (Fri) : Open slot, NO SEMINAR scheduled (yet)
26/4 (Fri) @ 10:30: Ernst de Mooij (Dublin)
26/4 (Fri) @ 13:00: PhD defence of Tine Libbrecht in FB52

All welcome!
         Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser VT 2019)