[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 5/4 10:30 FC61: Christian Herenz

Mon Apr 1 15:18:41 CEST 2019

Astronomy seminar
============

Time & location: Friday April 5, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Christian Herenz (SU)

Title: Deciphering Lyman alpha emitting galaxies with integral field
spectroscopy

Abstract:
Lyman alpha emitting high-redshift galaxies offer insights into galaxy
formation processes in the young universe.  Moreover, they can be used
to address cosmological questions regarding the "Epoch of Reionisation"
and the nature of dark energy.  In my talk I will show how integral
field spectroscopy (IFS) is a viable observational technique for such
studies.  In particular, I will detail how we use IFS data to understand
Lyman alpha escape mechanisms in a sample of nearby high-redshift
analogues.  I will then show how we use the revolutionary IFS instrument
MUSE for conducting surveys of Lyman emitting galaxies in the redshift
range 3 < z < 6.  Here I will provide an overview over the latest
results from those campaigns, with a particular focus on luminosity
function studies. My talk will conclude with new (preliminary) results
from a 17.5 hour MUSE integration of an extremely luminous extended
z=3.1 Lyman alpha emitter known as 'Lyman Alpha Blob 1'.

Other upcoming activities:

3/4 (Wed) @ 10:30: Astrobiology talk in FC61, Hendrik Ehrpais
(University of Tartu)
3/4 (Wed) @ 13:00: PhD defence of Sambit Giri in FB42
12/4 (Fri) : Open slot, NO SEMINAR scheduled (yet)
26/4 (Fri) @ 10:30: Ernst de Mooij (Dublin)
26/4 (Fri) @ 13:00: PhD defence of Tine Libbrecht in FB52

All welcome! Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser VT 2019)