[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 26/4 10:30 FC61: Ernst de Mooij

Tue Apr 23 11:38:09 CEST 2019

Astronomy seminar

Time & location: Friday April 26, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Ernst de Mooij (Dublin University)

Title: Characterising the Atmospheres and Circumplanetary Environment of
Exoplanets

Abstract:
Since the discovery of the first planet outside our solar-system almost
25 years ago, the field of exoplanet research has made a lot of
progress. Not only has the number of known exoplanets increased to over
3000, the atmospheres for a number of exoplanets have been detected.
These atmospheric studies have mainly been made for transiting planets.
For these planets is not only possible to study their atmosphere in
emission/reflection during the secondary eclipse and through their
phase-curve, but also in transmission during the transit. I will show
that ground-based telescopes can be used to reach the high precision
required to detect the atmospheric signatures, while long-term
monitoring with space-based telescopes allows us to start and probe
dynamics in the atmospheres of alien worlds. Finally, I will show how we
can use high-resolution spectroscopy to search for rings around exoplanets.

26/4 (Fri) @ 13:00: PhD defence of Tine Libbrecht in FB52
3/5 (Fri) @ 10:30: Michelle Collins (Surrey)
10/5 (Fri) @ 10:30: Open slot, NO SEMINAR scheduled (yet)
17/5 (Fri) @ 10:30: Karin Lind (MPIA)
24/5 (Fri) @ 10:30: Dainis Dravins (Lund University)

All welcome! Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser VT 2019)