[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar 14/6 at 10:30 FC61: Christian Herenz

Mon Jun 10 06:11:55 CEST 2019

Astronomy seminar

Time & location: Friday June 14, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Christian Herenz (SU)

Title: Deciphering Lyman alpha emitting galaxies with integral field
spectroscopy

Abstract:
Lyman alpha emitting high-redshift galaxies offer insights into galaxy
formation processes in the young universe. Moreover, they can be used to
address cosmological questions regarding the "Epoch of Reionisation" and
the nature of dark energy. In my talk I will show how integral field
spectroscopy (IFS) is a viable observational technique for such studies.
In particular, I will detail how we use IFS data to understand Lyman
alpha escape mechanisms in a sample of nearby high-redshift analogues. I
will then show how we use the revolutionary IFS instrument MUSE for
conducting surveys of Lyman emitting galaxies in the redshift range 3 <
z < 6. Here I will provide an overview over the latest results from
those campaigns, with a particular focus on luminosity function studies.
My talk will conclude with new (preliminary) results from a 17.5 hour
MUSE integration of an extremely luminous extended z=3.1 Lyman alpha
emitter known as 'Lyman Alpha Blob 1'.

This is the last seminar of the spring semester. First event in the
autumn will be
30/8 (Fri) @ 10:30: Emir Karamehmetoglu (PhD thesis presentation, TBD)

All welcome! Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser 2019)