[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 6/9 10:30 FC61: Per Bjerkeli

Mon Sep 2 14:08:46 CEST 2019

Astronomy seminar

Time & location: Friday September 6, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Per Bjerkeli (Chalmers)

Title: Resolving star and planet formation with ALMA

Abstract:
Disks around young stars are the sites of planet formation. As such, the
physical and chemical structure of disks have direct impact on the
formation of planetary bodies. The innermost disk regions are
particularly interesting, due to the potential for planet formation.
These are also the regions where winds, capable of affecting the disk
build-up itself, are launched magnetically. Meanwhile, the only chance
of forming a planetary system is around a star at a stage when its
circumstellar disk still hosts a sufficient mass reservoir. Until very
recently, we have lacked the facilities to provide the necessary
observational constraints and insights into what is actually going on
the smallest scales and during the earliest stages of solar system
formation, meaning it is completely uncharted territory.

Within the framework of the "Resolving star formation with ALMA"
program, we are targeting young disks and outflows with ALMA in its
largest possible configuration (16 km baselines, yielding a resolution
of 2-6 au) to examine the relation between early disk evolution, outflow
launching, and star- and planet-formation. I will present an overview of
the program, focusing on the most recent results. The first resolved
images of outflow launching from a disk were reported towards the Class
I source TMC1A. Since then, we have continued our observations towards
TMC1A and in addition included the younger B335 system in the study. The
observations allow us to constrain the structure of the disks, but also
to constrain the launching mechanism and the properties of outflows on
the smallest scales.

Other upcoming activites:

13/9 (Fri) @ 10:30: Carina Persson (Chalmers)
18/9 (Wed) @ 10:00: PhD Defence Emanuel Gafton in FA31
20/9 (Fri) @ 10:30: [CANCELLED: John Miller (Oxford)]
23/9 (Mon) @ 13:00: PhD Defence Anders Nyholm in FB42
27/9 (Fri) @ 10:30:Katja Poppenhaeger (Potsdam)

All welcome! Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser 2019)