[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 27/9 10:30 FC61: Katja Poppenhäger

Mon Sep 23 10:25:32 CEST 2019

Astronomy seminar

Time & location: Friday September 27, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Katja Poppenhäger (AIP, Potsdam)

Title: Understanding the evolution of star-exoplanet systems

Abstract:
Stars and their exoplanets evolve together over billions of years, just
like our own solar system.  Many known exoplanetary systems have planets
orbiting their host stars at much closer distances than we observe in
the solar system, with orbital periods of only a few days.  In such
systems one  expects  the  star  and  its close-in  planet  to
interact  through  tidal and magnetic forces, tying their evolution
together.  These interactions can give us insights into fundamental
properties of star- planet systems which are hard to constrain
otherwise:  the time scale over which close-in planets spiral into the
star, the evolution of stellar activity, and the amount of atmospheric
evaporation and the habitability for all planets in a system with a
close-in planet.  Gaia and other telescopes have now opened up new
pathways to measure how stars and planets interact with each other.  I
will present new approaches to test for planet-induced influences on
stars through wide binary systems, motivate a new look at stellar
magnetic activity measurements,  and discuss how planetary atmospheres
can evaporate over the lifetime of exoplanets.

Also TODAY 23/9 @ 13:00: PhD Defence Anders Nyholm in FB42

4/10 (Fri) @ 10:30: Tim Dietrich (Amsterdam)
11/10 (Fri) @ 10:30: *POSTPONED TO 2020-02-07* John Airy (SU Science
Education)
18/10 (Fri) @ 10:30: Marta Silva (Oslo ITA)
24-26/10 (Thu-Sat): Astronomdagarna

All welcome! Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser 2019)