[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 4/10 10:30 FC61: Tim Dietrich

Mon Sep 30 09:17:08 CEST 2019

Astronomy Seminar

Time & location: Friday October 4, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Tim Dietrich (Amsterdam)

Title: The multi-messenger picture of merging neutron stars

Abstract:
With the detection of the binary neutron star merger GW170817, a new era
of multi-messenger astronomy started. GW170817 demonstrated that neutron
star mergers are ideal laboratories for constraining the equation of
state of cold supranuclear matter, to study the central engines of short
GRBs, to understand the origin and production of heavy elements, and to
measure the expansion rate of the Universe. We discuss how the last
milliseconds before and after the merger can be investigated with full
3D numerical relativity simulations. We present results from
state-of-the-art numerical relativity simulations covering large areas
of the binary neutron star parameter space and we explain how these
simulations help to develop gravitational wave and electromagnetic
models. These models allow us to constrain the unknown equation of state
of cold supranuclear matter and in the future might even be helpful to
determine the dark matter content in our Universe. I will conclude with
a short review of the first months of the ongoing observing run of the
LIGO and Virgo gravitational wave detectors with respect to binary
neutron star candidates.

11/10 (Fri) @ 10:30: No scheduled seminar
18/10 (Fri) @ 10:30: Marta Silva (Oslo ITA)
24-26/10 (Thu-Sat): Astronomdagarna
8/11 (Fri) @ 10:30: Nikki Zabela (Cardiff)

Also see https://www.albanova.se/events/seminars/ for scheduled seminars.

All welcome! Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser 2019)