[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 15/11: 10:30 FC61: Angela Adamo

Mon Nov 11 08:24:26 CET 2019

Astronomy Seminar

Time & location: Friday November 15, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Angela Adamo (SU Astronomy)

Title:  Star clusters as footprints of star formation, stellar feedback
and assembly history of galaxies

Abstract:
Star clusters are gravitationally bound stellar systems commonly formed
in star formation events. These systems form in the densest regions of
giant molecular clouds and host the majority of the massive stars
forming in these regions. A quick look at the cluster population in our
Milky Way already proves that these bound stellar systems have
continuously formed during the assembly history of our own galaxy, as
witnessed by globular clusters, open clusters, young star clusters. I
will present some key results that relates the most recent efforts to
link the statistical properties of cluster populations in local galaxies
(i.e. mass functions, dissolution time scales, formation efficiency) to
the global physical properties of galaxies, such has star formation per
unit area, gas surface density,  and dynamics. I will show how key
events for galaxy evolution, such as mergers or increased gas fraction
change the properties of the stellar clusters formed during these
enhanced star formation events, therefore making them tracers of the
assembly history of galaxies. I will conclude presenting some
preliminary results about the effect of cluster feedback on their
immediate surroundings and at galactic scales showing that star clusters
are fundamental components of the star formation cycle of galaxies.

Upcoming events:
22/11 (Fri) @ 10:30: Johan Fynbo (NBI)
29/11 (Fri) @ 10:30: Liisa Husu (Örebro University)
(6/12 (Fri) Supervisor's meeting - full day)
13/12 (Fri) @ 10:30: Stephen Justham (Amsterdam)

Also see https://www.albanova.se/events/seminars/ for scheduled seminars.

All welcome!
Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser 2019)

PS For 2020, Arjan Bik and Cristina Barbarino will take over as
Astronomy seminar organisers.