[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 22/11: 10:30 FC61: Johan Fynbo

Mon Nov 18 11:35:49 CET 2019

Astronomy Seminar

Time & location: Friday November 22, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Johan Fynbo (NBI, Copenhagen)

Title: Pieces to the puzzle of Galaxy Formation

Abstract:
The great debate on the nature of the nebulae will have its 100 years
anniversary next year. In the course of those hundred years we have come
to understand galaxies as one of the most mind-boggling phenomena in
nature with a quantum mechanical origin reflecting conditions in the
Universe a tiny fraction of a second after the Big Bang. To understand
galaxies we need to involve all aspects of physics from particle,
atomic, molecular and solid stare physics. In this talk I will discuss
some of the pieces to the puzzle of galaxy formation, namely how we can
use sight-lines to quasars to probe the chemical evolution of galaxies
at look-back times of 10-13 Gyr. As part of this story I will discuss
the issue of dust bias and how new methods for selection of quasars
among point-sources on the sky can circumvent this bias.

Upcoming events:
29/11 (Fri) @ 10:30: Liisa Husu (Örebro University)
(6/12 (Fri) Supervisor's meeting - full day)
13/12 (Fri) @ 10:30: Stephen Justham (Amsterdam)

Also see https://www.albanova.se/events/seminars/ for scheduled seminars.

All welcome!
Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser 2019)

PS For 2020, Arjan Bik and Cristina Barbarino will take over as
Astronomy seminar organisers.