[Astronomy seminar] I: [alla at astro.su.se] Astronomy Seminar Friday 14/2: 10:30 FC61: Per Calissendorff

Fri Feb 14 08:34:33 CET 2020

A reminder of today’s Astronomy seminar.

Arjan & Cristina

________________________________
Da: Alla-at-astro.su.se <alla-at-astro.su.se-bounces at lists.su.se> per conto di Arjan Bik <arjan.bik at astro.su.se>
Inviato: lunedì 10 febbraio 2020 15:13
A: alla at astro.su.se; people at nordita.org; seminars-announce.astro at su.se; cops at fysik.su.se; epi at particle.kth.se
Oggetto: [alla at astro.su.se] Astronomy Seminar Friday 14/2: 10:30 FC61: Per Calissendorff

Dear all,

On Friday the 14th of February we have the next Astronomy seminar in room FC61 at 10:30

Our speaker is Per Calissendorff (SU), he will present his PhD seminar:

Title: Characterizing emblematic low-mass stellar and substellar binaries

Abstract:

Multiplicity is one of the foremost diagnostics for the formation processes of brown dwarfs, and thus low-mass substellar binaries lie at the nexus of astronomical interests, representing the youngest products of star formation at the very lowest masses, and at the same time serve as analogues to directly imaged giant planets. Due to the lack of a statistical significant sample readily available, multiplicity is poorly constrained at the lowest stellar and substellar mass-regimes, which in turn has consequences for theoretical evolutionary models to fail to accurately predict masses from measured luminosities. By monitoring visual low-mass binaries over longer periods of time, applying precise astrometry, and employing high-contrast imaging techniques, we are able to identify and characterize several new benchmark binary and higher hierarchical systems, constraining their ages, brightnesses and masses, which can be used to calibrate said evolutionary models. The detection of these systems also allow us place constraints on the multiplicity frequency for young brown dwarfs, which compared to the older field population provides insight to their formation mechanisms and dynamical evolution.

https://www.albanova.se/event/astronomy-seminar-characterizing-emblematic-low-mass-stellar-and-substellar-binaries/

Upcoming events:
21/02 (Fri) @ 10:30: Beibei Liu (Lund)
28/02 (Fri) @ 10:30:  Kathryn Kreckel (MPIA and ARI, Heidelberg)