[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Seminar Friday 15th of May: 10:30 zoom: Daohai Li

Mon May 11 17:36:07 CEST 2020

Dear all,

On Friday the 15th of May we have the next Astronomy seminar remotely via zoom at 10:30.

Our speaker is Daohai Li from Lund University.

Title: Flyby encounters between two planetary systems

Abstract: Stars formed in clustered environment may experience stellar encounters. Here we explore a case where both encountering stars each has its own planetary system of various orbital scales and mass ranges. Besides the immediate effect of the encounter, we have also propagated the systems post-encounter for up to Gyr. So we reveal the effect of a captured planet on a system that survives the encounter itself.

We find that immediately during the encounter, a planet can be ejected from its original host star or captured by the intruding star. Here, the interplanetary interactions are negligible and a planet’s stellar-centric distance is a key factor in constraining its stability.

Then, during the long-term post-encounter evolution, the interplanetary forcing takes control. The larger the perturbation a system acquires immediately during the encounter, the more likely and the earlier it becomes unstable in the later phase. Captured planets intensify the post-encounter instability and they themselves are often lost.

Full details can be found in Li, Mustill & Davies 2019 (MNRAS, 488, 1366) and in Li, Mustill & Davies 2020 (ArXiv:2002.09271).

https://www.albanova.se/event/astronomy-seminar-daohai-li/

We will have the colloquium using zoom. You will find the invitation at the end of this email.

Some guidelines:

1) Join the session with your microphone muted.

2) When you have a question, press the “raise hand button” and wait till you are asked to ask your question.

3) The session will be online from 10:20, please join at least a few minutes early as we would like to start 10:30 sharp.

We hope to see all of you there!

Arjan & Cristina

Cristina Barbarino is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy colloquium May 15th
Time: May 15, 2020 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/67159875558