[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Seminar Friday 4/9 10:30 via zoom: Chris Usher

Mon Aug 31 09:13:32 CEST 2020

Dear all,

On Friday September 4, 10:30, we will have the next Astronomy seminar remotely via zoom.

Our speaker is Chris Usher from Stockholm University and he will speak about:

Title: Studying Galaxy Formation with Globular Cluster Stellar Populations

Abstract: Globular clusters are powerful probes of galaxy formation and assembly. The properties of globular clusters observed today reflect both the conditions of globular cluster formation but also the physics of globular cluster survival. Recent theoretical work has shown a strong connection between a galaxy's formation and assembly history and the distribution of the galaxy's globular clusters in age-metallicity space. Due to the age-metallicity degeneracy in the optical, reliably measuring extragalactic globular cluster ages has been observational challenging. I will present a novel method that combines optical photometry and near-infrared spectroscopy to provide ages for large samples of globular clusters. I will present results from applying this technique to data from the SLUGGS survey and to GCs around M31. I will also look to the future and discuss how forthcoming wide field surveys such as LSST will provide a volume limited sample of globular cluster systems.

https://www.albanova.se/event/astronomy-seminar-via-zoom-chris-usher/

We will have the colloquium using zoom. You will find the invitation at the end of this email.

Some guidelines:

1) Join the session with your microphone muted.

2) When you have a question, press the “raise hand button” and wait till you are asked to ask your question.

3) The session will be online from 10:20, please join at least a few minutes early as we would like to start 10:30 sharp.

We hope to see all of you there!

Arjan & Janet

Upcoming events:

11/9: PhD Defence Veronica Menacho (no seminar)
18/9: João da Silva Santos (SU): PhD seminar
25/9: Freeke van der Voort (Cardiff, UK)
2/10: Ernest Alsina (Locarno, Switserland)

Arjan Bik is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Seminar Chris Usher
Time: Sep 4, 2020 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/64874050823