[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar via zoom, 9 October 10:30: Enric Palle

Mon Oct 5 09:04:54 CEST 2020

Dear all,

On Friday October 9 at 10:30 we will have the next Astronomy Seminar, remotely via zoom.

Our speaker is Enric Palle from the IAC in Spain.

Title: Observing planetary atmosphere at high spectral resolution. The path from Hot Jupiters to biomarkers.

Abstract: With over 4000 confirmed planets, one of the main goals of exoplanets
research is the detailed characterization of the most accessible
planetary systems, including the bulk atmospheric composition of their
atmospheres. Space and ground-based planet searches are concentrating on
finding the brighter and closer stars to us hosting exoplanets. Most of
the atmospheric characterization so far has been carried out using space
facilities such as HST, Spitzer and soon JWST and Ariel. However,
ground-based instrumentation, particularly using high-dispersion
spectrographs, is quickly becoming a powerful tool to perform
transmission spectroscopy and cross-correlation studies in search for
molecular, atomic or ionized species signatures in planetary
atmospheres. Here I will review the major achievements in planetary
atmospheric characterization using these techniques, including the
latest highlights from instruments such as CARMENES and ESPRESSO.
Finally I will discuss the potential discovery space for this type of
techniques (including biomarker detection) when similar instrumentation
is available at the Extremely Large Telescope facilities currently under
construction.

https://www.albanova.se/event/astronomy-seminar-via-zoom-enric-palle/

We will have the colloquium using zoom. You will find the invitation at the end of this email.

Some guidelines:

1) Join the session with your microphone muted.

2) When you have a question, press the “raise hand button” and wait till you are asked to ask your question.

3) The session will be online from 10:20, please join at least a few minutes early as we would like to start 10:30 sharp.

We hope to see all of you there!

Arjan & Janet

Upcoming events:
16/10: Charlotte Angus (DARK, Denmark)
23/10: Anders Jerkstrand (SU)
30/10: Höstlov
6/11: Jorryt Matthee (ETH, Zurich)

Arjan Bik is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Seminar Enric Palle
Time: Oct 9, 2020 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/63143494429