[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar via zoom, 20 November 10:30: Jérôme Guilet

Mon Nov 16 14:57:09 CET 2020

Dear all,

On Friday November 20 at 10:30 we will have the next Astronomy Seminar, remotely via zoom.

Our speaker is Jérôme Guilet from the CEA Saclay, Paris.

Title: Magnetar formation & extreme explosions.

Abstract: Extremely strong magnetic fields of the order of 10^15 Gauss are required to explain the properties of magnetars, the most magnetic neutron stars. Such a strong magnetic field is expected to play an important role for the dynamics of core-collapse supernovae, and in the presence of rapid rotation may power superluminous supernovae and hypernovae associated to long gamma-ray bursts. The origin of these strong magnetic fields is still uncertain and most likely requires an amplification over several orders of magnitude in the protoneutron star. I will review our current understanding of the physical processes that can lead to this magnetic field amplification, including the magnetorotational instability and the convective dynamo. I will also describe how the explosion dynamics depends on the properties of the magnetic field.

https://www.albanova.se/event/jerome_guilet/

We will have the colloquium using zoom. You will find the invitation at the end of this email.

Some guidelines:

1) Join the session with your microphone muted.

2) When you have a question, press the “raise hand button” and wait till you are asked to ask your question.

3) The session will be online from 10:20, please join at least a few minutes early as we would like to start 10:30 sharp.

We hope to see all of you there!

Arjan & Janet

Upcoming events:
27/11: J. J. Eldridge (Auckland, New Zealand)
4/12:  Teachers meeting, no seminar
11/12: Jorryt Matthee (ETH, Zurich)

Janet Ting-Wan Chen is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Seminar Jérôme Guilet
Time: Nov 20, 2020 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/61687286338

Meeting ID: 616 8728 6338
One tap mobile
+46850500828,,61687286338# Sweden
+46850500829,,61687286338# Sweden

Dial by your location
        +46 8 5050 0828 Sweden
        +46 8 5050 0829 Sweden
        +46 8 5052 0017 Sweden
        +46 850 539 728 Sweden
        +46 8 4468 2488 Sweden
        +46 8 5016 3827 Sweden
Meeting ID: 616 8728 6338
Find your local number: https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/u/cdPzD8k1Z8

Join by SIP
61687286338 at 109.105.112.236<mailto:61687286338 at 109.105.112.236>
61687286338 at 109.105.112.235<mailto:61687286338 at 109.105.112.235>

Join by H.323
109.105.112.236
109.105.112.235
Meeting ID: 616 8728 6338