[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar via zoom, 26 February 10:30: Sheng Yang

Mon Feb 22 15:07:24 CET 2021

Dear all,

On Friday February 26 at 10:30 we will have the next Astronomy Seminar, remotely via zoom.

Our speaker is Sheng Yang from the Stockholm University.

Title: Electromagnetic signals from gravitational wave events

Abstract: Gravitational-wave (GW) signal were finally detected by LIGO on 14th September 2015. On 17th August 2017, the joint observations of a compact binary coalescence in both GW and electromagnetic (EM) channels mark the beginning of the GW multi-messenger astronomy era. In this talk, I will briefly present the followup searches of possible optical counterparts of GW events. I have developed the observational strategies for trigger search, developed pipelines for image analysis and automatic candidate vetting via machine learning algorithm, as well as contribution to spectroscopic identifications and further inferences. I will show our main contributions (on behalf of GRAWITA and DLT40 projects which I was part of) during the first three LIGO-VIRGO collaboration runs. In particular, we had an independent discovery of the kilonova AT 2017gfo, that is, the optical counterpart of GW 170817/GRB 170817A. Finally, as a postdoc at OKC Stockholm now, I will present my current work within the ZTF survey, the GREAT environment, and our plans for search of future GW counterparts.

https://www.albanova.se/event/sheng_yang/

We will have the colloquium using zoom. You will find the invitation at the end of this email.

Some guidelines:

1) Join the session with your microphone muted.

2) When you have a question, press the “raise hand button” and wait till you are asked to ask your question.

3) The session will be online from 10:20, please join at least a few minutes early as we would like to start 10:30 sharp.

We hope to see all of you there!

Matthias & Janet

Upcoming events:
05/03: no seminar ; SPORT LOV
12/03: Davide Gizzi (PhD seminar)
19/03: Sylvia Plöckinger (Leiden)

Janet Ting-Wan Chen is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Seminar Sheng Yang
Time: Feb 26, 2021 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62777916162

Meeting ID: 627 7791 6162
One tap mobile
+46844682488,,62777916162# Sweden
+46850163827,,62777916162# Sweden

Dial by your location
        +46 8 4468 2488 Sweden
        +46 8 5016 3827 Sweden
        +46 8 5050 0828 Sweden
        +46 8 5050 0829 Sweden
        +46 8 5052 0017 Sweden
        +46 850 539 728 Sweden
Meeting ID: 627 7791 6162
Find your local number: https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/u/cdhXnBbUfk

Join by SIP
62777916162 at 109.105.112.236<mailto:62777916162 at 109.105.112.236>
62777916162 at 109.105.112.235<mailto:62777916162 at 109.105.112.235>

Join by H.323
109.105.112.236
109.105.112.235
Meeting ID: 627 7791 6162