[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar via zoom, 19 March 10:30: Sylvia Plöckinger

Mon Mar 15 15:13:19 CET 2021

Dear all,

On Friday March 19 at 10:30, we will have the next Astronomy Seminar, remotely via zoom.

Our speaker is Sylvia Plöckinger from the Leiden Observatory.

Title: Cosmological simulations as laboratories to test theories on galaxy formation and particle physics

Abstract: Simulations are an invaluable tool in astrophysics to test theories relating to processes that take millions and billions of years. Within the last decades, cosmological simulations have drastically improved on their power to compare simulation with observations: from simulations only tracing the gravitational effects of cosmic structure formation ("dark matter only / N-body simulations") to fully hydro-dynamic simulations that form galaxy populations resembling observed galaxies.

An upcoming new generation of cosmological simulations further advances the opportunities for a more direct comparison to observed galaxies. This is not only achieved by an increased mass and spatial resolution, but also by an innovative physical and chemical model of the gas phases of the interstellar medium (ionized, neutral atomic, molecular). This allows to self-consistently model the multi-phase interstellar medium (ISM) and produce more realistic mock observations. I will present first results of these new simulations and show how a multi-phase ISM can impact some of the small-scale challenges of the current standard cosmological model.

This improved model for baryon physics also allows us to better study the impact on the formation of dwarf galaxies on the assumed dark matter particle. This will be illustrated by performing statistical test on the galaxy populations within cold and warm (sterile neutrino) dark matter simulations.

https://www.albanova.se/event/sylvia_ploeckinger/

We will have the colloquium using zoom. You will find the invitation at the end of this email.

Some guidelines:

1) Join the session with your microphone muted.

2) When you have a question, press the “raise hand button” and wait till you are asked to ask your question.

3) The session will be online from 10:20, please join at least a few minutes early as we would like to start 10:30 sharp.

We hope to see all of you there!

Matthias & Janet

Upcoming events:
26/03: Matthew Kenworthy (Leiden)
02/04: Good friday
09/04: Patrick Antolin (Northumbria University)

Janet Ting-Wan Chen is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Seminar Sylvia Ploeckinger
Time: Mar 19, 2021 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/64969984591

Meeting ID: 649 6998 4591
One tap mobile
+46850539728,,64969984591# Sweden
+46844682488,,64969984591# Sweden

Dial by your location
        +46 850 539 728 Sweden
        +46 8 4468 2488 Sweden
        +46 8 5016 3827 Sweden
        +46 8 5050 0828 Sweden
        +46 8 5050 0829 Sweden
        +46 8 5052 0017 Sweden
Meeting ID: 649 6998 4591
Find your local number: https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/u/ctiFBg7Cu

Join by SIP
64969984591 at 109.105.112.236<mailto:64969984591 at 109.105.112.236>
64969984591 at 109.105.112.235<mailto:64969984591 at 109.105.112.235>

Join by H.323
109.105.112.236
109.105.112.235
Meeting ID: 649 6998 4591