[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar via zoom, 16 April 10:30: Paul Mollière

Mon Apr 12 13:20:54 CEST 2021

Dear all,

On Friday April 16 at 10:30 we will have the next Astronomy Seminar, remotely via zoom.

Our speaker is Paul Mollière from the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy, Heidelberg, Germany.

Title: From atmospheric to planet formation retrievals

Abstract:
With new and upcoming observing facilities (JWST and the ELTs), the exoplanet community is poised to precisely measure the chemical inventory of exoplanet atmospheres. This will allow, for the first time, to start investigating whether one of the greatest promises of atmospheric characterization studies holds up: inverting the atmospheric composition to infer the planet formation history encoded in it. In my talk, I will show how such measurements allow to run so-called formation retrievals, which constrain a planet’s formation history using its atmospheric abundances in a Bayesian retrieval framework. I will demonstrate how simple and popular models for the composition of the protoplanetary disk and planet formation could lead to interesting insights when applied in formation retrievals. At the same time, I will discuss how such assumptions are too strongly simplified for making the exoplanet atmosphere -- formation connection in practice, and what the most pressing theoretical challenges are. Achieving this connection will be a formidable and interdisciplinary challenge, but the exciting exoplanet observations that lie ahead will allow the community to tackle it in earnest.

<https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/our-staff/j/natasha-jeffrey/>https://www.albanova.se/event/paul_molliere/

We will have the colloquium using zoom. You will find the invitation at the end of this email.

Some guidelines:

1) Join the session with your microphone muted.

2) When you have a question, press the “raise hand button” and wait till you are asked to ask your question.

3) The session will be online from 10:20, please join at least a few minutes early as we would like to start 10:30 sharp.

We hope to see all of you there!

Matthias & Janet

Upcoming events:
23/04 (2 pm!): Marta Reina-Campos  (McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada)
30/04: Alexis Brandeker (Stockholm University)
07/05: Kristopher Youakim (Stockholm University)