[Astronomy seminar] [alla at astro.su.se] Astronomy seminar via zoom, 21 May 10:30: Franz Kirsten

Fri May 21 10:18:26 CEST 2021

Hi All,

The talk will start in 12mins!

See you soon,
Janet

On 17 May 2021, at 14:00, Janet Ting-Wan Chen <janet.chen at astro.su.se<mailto:janet.chen at astro.su.se>> wrote:

Dear all,

On Friday 21st May at 10:30, we will have the next Astronomy Seminar, remotely via zoom.

Our speaker is Franz Kirsten from the Chalmers University of Technology.

Title: Towards understanding fast radio bursts -- activities at and recent results from Onsala Space Observatory

Abstract: Fast radio burst are bright, millisecond-duration flashes of extragalactic origin, so far only observed at centimeter- to meter-wavelengths. The vast majority of the roughly 150 published FRBs have only ever been seen once, roughly 20 are known to burst repeatedly, but do so in an unpredictable way. Key ingredients in understanding the source and physical origin of the emission are the environments the bursts are generated in and their spectro-polarimetric properties. In this talk I will summarize the field and discuss the efforts that we conduct at Onsala Space Observatory. Besides running a VLBI-campaign to precisely localise FRBs, we also perform multi-telescope, multi-band observations in collaboration with Westerbork (NL) and Torun (Poland). In 2020 we detected FRB-like bursts from a Galactic magnetar and, most recently, we precisely localised two FRBs.

https://www.albanova.se/event/franz_kirsten/

We will have the colloquium using zoom. You will find the invitation at the end of this email.

Some guidelines:

1) Join the session with your microphone muted.

2) When you have a question, press the “raise hand button” and wait till you are asked to ask your question.

3) The session will be online from 10:20, please join at least a few minutes early as we would like to start 10:30 sharp.

We hope to see all of you there!

Matthias & Janet

Upcoming events:
28/05: Johannes Puschnig (PhD seminar)
4/6: Deborah Baker (UCL)
11/6: Nushkia Chamba (SU)

Janet Ting-Wan Chen is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Seminar Franz Kirsten
Time: May 21, 2021 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/64148584924

Meeting ID: 641 4858 4924
One tap mobile
+46850500828,,64148584924# Sweden
+46850500829,,64148584924# Sweden

Dial by your location
        +46 8 5050 0828 Sweden
        +46 8 5050 0829 Sweden
        +46 8 5052 0017 Sweden
        +46 850 539 728 Sweden
        +46 8 4468 2488 Sweden
        +46 8 5016 3827 Sweden
Meeting ID: 641 4858 4924
Find your local number: https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/u/co8Bm6Km6

Join by SIP
64148584924 at 109.105.112.236<mailto:64148584924 at 109.105.112.236>
64148584924 at 109.105.112.235<mailto:64148584924 at 109.105.112.235>

Join by H.323
109.105.112.236
109.105.112.235
Meeting ID: 641 4858 4924