[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - September 17th Nushkia Chamba

Mon Sep 13 11:11:16 CEST 2021

Hello

On Friday the 17h we have the third astronomy seminar of the year with
our own Nushkia Chamba (Stockholm University) speaking via Zoom at 10:30.

*Unveiling the outskirts of galaxies using deep imaging *

The traditional measurement of the size of galaxies, the effective
radius, is a relic of the epoch when shallow imaging was unable to
capture the full extension of astronomical sources. However, current
deep imaging surveys have revolutionised our view of galaxies and the
characteristics of their faint outskirts, allowing us to regard
critically our own conventions. From this perspective, it is time to
move from a size definition based on the light concentration of
galaxies, the effective radius, to a definition that intuitively
captures the concept of the size of galaxies, such as its edge or
boundary. In this talk, a physically motivated definition for the size
of a galaxy based on the gas density threshold value for star formation
in galaxies is studied. Remarkably, the new size definition not only
captures what the human visual system identifies as the edge of a
galaxy, but also dramatically decreases the scatter in the stellar
mass–size relation by more than a factor of two. Compared to other size
measures, the new parameter is unique in that it also unifies galaxies
spanning five orders of magnitude in stellar mass on a single mass–size
relationship. To place this discovery in the context of galaxy formation
and evolution, its application is discussed on the understanding of the
origin of discs and the nature of ultra-diffuse galaxies.

We are trying something new this year with leaving the Zoom call open
after the formal hour of the seminar is up to allow the speaker, if they
wish, to chat informally with anyone who is interested.

Thanks

Chris and Tine

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Department Seminar - Nushkia Chamba
Time: Sep 17, 2021 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/68003268702?pwd=Q085dHZrT0Y0djZHelZNL3RVb2x0Zz09

Meeting ID: 680 0326 8702