[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - November 26th Jeff Cooke

Mon Nov 22 13:33:00 CET 2021

Hello

On Friday the 26th we have the next astronomy seminar with Jeff Cooke
(Swinburne University of Technology) at 10:30 via Zoom.

*The Deeper, Wider, Faster program and the Keck Wide-Field Imager*

In this talk, I will first discuss the Deeper, Wider, Faster (DWF)
program, an innovative all-wavelength program chasing the fastest bursts
in the Universe. Fast transients with millisecond-to-hours durations are
observed and predicted at all wavelengths, such as fast radio bursts
(FRBs), supernova shock breakouts, GRBs and their afterglows, X-ray
bursts, Type Ia supernova/companion star collisions, kilonovae,
blitzars, and other exotic events, with most classes having no
detections or a few serendipitous observations to date. DWF coordinates
over 80 radio through gamma-ray telescopes and particle detectors
located on every continent and in space to simultaneously gather deep,
wide-field, fast-cadenced observations before, during, and after the
fast events before they quickly fade. DWF performs real-time (seconds)
data processing and transient identification to trigger rapid-response
spectroscopy and imaging on program-coordinated 8m-class optical, radio,
and high-energy telescopes and DWF coordinates later-time observations,
as some fast transients are associated with longer-duration events
(e.g., supernova shock breakouts). I will conclude by discussing the
proposed Keck Wide-Field Imager (KWFI), a UV-sensitive optical
(3000-10000A) imager that will be the most powerful wide-field imager in
the world for the foreseeable future. KWFI will progress fast transient
science, as well as nearly every other area of astronomy, from the solar
system to the high redshift Universe, including radio, high-energy, and
gravitational wave research. I will describe how KWFI, with its extreme
depths and blue sensitivities (e.g., m ~ 28 in ~1-2 hrs) over wide
fields, will enable science that cannot be done on any other telescope,
including future 30m-class telescopes, and will provide deep photometry
essential for upcoming facilities, such as the E-ELT, wide-field
10m-class spectrographs, gravitational wave detectors, and the JWST,
Roman, and Euclid space missions.

We are trying something new this year with leaving the Zoom call open
after the formal hour of the seminar is up to allow the speaker, if they
wish, to chat informally with anyone who is interested.

Thanks

Chris and Tine

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Seminar - Jeff Cooke
Time: Nov 26, 2021 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/63061726531?pwd=WWtYVVRwR3ZtZFhGR3Foa1pBWnE1QT09