[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - December 3rd Eliot Ayache

Mon Nov 29 15:59:23 CET 2021

Hello

On Friday the 3rd at 10:30 we have our next astronomy seminar with Eliot
Ayache (Stockholm University) via Zoom.

*The Numerics of Gamma-ray Burst Afterglows Across Scales*

Gamma-ray burst (GRB) afterglows are riddled with multiscale processes
in the spatial, temporal, and spectral domains. Accurately capturing the
interplay between these processes, and their manifestations at short
and long timescales, is the key to uncovering the nature and behavior of
the associated progenitor and remnant. I will first focus on direct
modeling and show how recent improvements in the treatment of the
numerical dynamics, using moving meshes, allow us to
correctly, numerically, simulate radiative cooling from non-thermal
processes inside the jet. This finally allows for full broadband
simulation of time-dependent synchrotron emission in
relativistic transients. I will then present results showing how these
simulations open the door to the study of complex dynamical behaviors
with multiple emission sites (and the associated short-timescale light
curve variability), as well as the investigation of the microphysical
processes at play inside the jet in the trans-relativistic regime (and
the associated late-time effects on the light curve). I will conclude by
focusing on the inverse problem and present preliminary results on how
state-of-the-art unsupervised machine leaning techniques can provide
physical insight into the long-timescale behavior of GRB afterglows.

We are trying something new this year with leaving the Zoom call open
after the formal hour of the seminar is up to allow the speaker, if they
wish, to chat informally with anyone who is interested.

Thanks

Chris and Tine

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Department Seminar - Eliot Ayache
Time: Dec 3, 2021 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/69591012819?pwd=dExIT1hCNjgxNVNZaktMRzBaOXNmUT09

Meeting ID: 695 9101 2819