[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - December 10th Héloïse Stevance

Mon Dec 6 12:12:25 CET 2021

On Friday the 10th at 10:30 we have our final astronomy seminar of the
year with Héloïse Stevance (University of Auckland) via Zoom.

*The Life Story of AT 2017gfo*

Massive stars, and the menagerie of explosions resulting from their
deaths, are indispensable to creating a Universe that can harbour life
as we know it. Kilonovae are the explosions from the merger of neutron
stars, which are themselves the compact remnants left from supernova
events marking the death of massive stars. They are a known site for
neutron-rich element creation in the Universe (such as gold), but the
extent of their contribution is still debated. A crucial piece of the
puzzle is understanding their ancestors and the life they led, but only
one kilonova has been detected so far: AT 2017gfo. In this talk I will
present how our binary stellar evolution models can help us reconstruct
the life story of the progenitor system of this (so far) unprecedented
event, and how we are preparing for future kilonovae observations that
will come in 2022/2023.

We are trying something new this year with leaving the Zoom call open
after the formal hour of the seminar is up to allow the speaker, if they
wish, to chat informally with anyone who is interested.

I want to take a moment to thank my fellow seminar organiser, Tine
Libbrecht, for her hard work this semester and to wish her good luck in
her future endeavours. Carolina Robustini will be taking over from Tine
in the new year. We will be continuing with Zoom only seminars in the
New Year but hope that if conditions improve we will be able to have
some hybrid seminars later in the spring.

Thanks

Chris and Tine

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Department Seminar - Héloïse Stevance
Time: Dec 10, 2021 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/65163353536?pwd=aGJONnVTZHo1UjhpU3lKU2h5aEJRZz09

Meeting ID: 651 6335 3536