[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - February 4th Dan Perley

Tue Feb 1 10:03:40 CET 2022

On Friday the 4th at 10:30 we have our second seminar of the year with
Dan Perley (Liverpool John Moores University) speaking via Zoom.

*A Complete Survey of the Catastrophic Universe*

While it looks static to the naked eye, the night sky is filled with
activity: a star explodes somewhere in the observable universe once
every second.  The vast majority of these explosions go unheralded, but
a new generation of synoptic optical surveys are finally enabling us to
systematically chart the entire parameter space of these dramatic
endpoints of stellar evolution. I will describe how we are using the
Zwicky Transient Facility to investigate this "zoo" of cosmic
explosions. I will first present new measurements of the rates,
luminosity functions, and demographics of a variety of well-established
supernova types and illustrate how these observations are providing new
insights into the connection between the lives and deaths of their
massive stellar progenitors.  Then, moving to the extremes of stellar
evolution I will summarize our discoveries of the rarest and most
energetic explosions: off-axis gamma-ray bursts, "dirty" fireballs from
moderately-relativistic jets, direct-collapse events, and kilonovae.

We are trying something new this year with leaving the Zoom call open
after the formal hour of the seminar is up to allow the speaker, if they
wish, to chat informally with anyone who is interested.

Thanks

Chris and Carolina

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Department Seminar - Dan Perley
Time: Feb 4, 2022 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/66820045606?pwd=em5rS2ptMWIwVXVvNkVZL002NWxwZz09

Meeting ID: 668 2004 5606