[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - March 14th David Sobral

Mon Mar 14 13:31:47 CET 2022

On Friday, March 18th at 10:30 we have our next seminar with David
Sobral (Lancaster) speaking via Zoom

*Resolving the formation and evolution of primeval galaxies: from
re-ionisation to cosmic noon*

I will present new results that reveal the nature and evolution of
primeval galaxies, picked up in large and deep surveys due to their
Lyman-alpha emission. I will show how Lyman-alpha emitters (LAEs) are
an incredibly rare population of galaxies in the local Universe, but
become dominant into the epoch of re-ionisation and that they have the
properties and the number density necessary to dominate and drive
cosmic re-ionisation.

Lyman-α (Lyα) is intrinsically the brightest line emitted from active
galaxies, but its resonant nature and susceptibility to dust as a
rest-frame UV photon makes Lyα very hard to interpret due to the
uncertain Lyα escape fraction, until now. By conducting large blind
surveys at different cosmic times and the necessary spectroscopic
follow-up, we have obtained a simple empirical relation that robustly
retrieves the Lyα escape fraction as a function of Lyα rest-frame EW. We
show that the relation constrains a well-defined anti-correlation
between ionisation efficiency and dust extinction in Lyman-alpha
emitters (LAEs) which is likely an evolutionary sequence for very young
metal poor sources going through a LAE phase. We also reveal how those
LAEs/primeval galaxies have high escape fractions of not just
Lyman-alpha photons, but also LyC, and how the production and escape
seem to be linked together.

We are trying something new this year with leaving the Zoom call open
after the formal hour of the seminar is up to allow the speaker, if they
wish, to chat informally with anyone who is interested.

Thanks
Chris and Carolina

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Department Seminar - David Sobral
Time: Mar 18, 2022 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/64177331893?pwd=bzRRT3BjTFZtVDdnL08rdlg1VEpUQT09

Meeting ID: 641 7733 1893