[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - April 8th Fernando Buitrago

Mon Apr 4 11:48:57 CEST 2022

Hello

On Friday the 8th of April at 10:30, Fernando Buitrago (Valladolid/IA
Portugal) will be giving our next seminar. This will be a hybrid seminar
- you are welcome to either attend in person in FC61 or via Zoom. After
the seminar we will going for lunch with Fernando at Proviant. Fernando
will be visiting the department on Thursday and Friday.

*The faintest surface brightness limits of high redshift galaxies*

The Low Surface Brightness (LSB) regime is the last niche for studies of
galaxy formation and evolution. It is of outstanding importance for
investigating not only the smallest galaxies, but also for the most
massive ones. We will review the state-of-the-art of how massive
galaxies progressively change their properties over cosmic time, and how
LSB describes this mass assembly. Going to the deepest Hubble Space
Telescope fields, we will show our latest results looking for galaxy
truncations, real galaxy edges whose existence is linked with the gas
density threshold for star formation. Therefore, we obtain a new
physically-motivated mass-size relation, whereby massive galaxies grow
by a factor of two since z = 1 while at the same time increasing by an
order of magnitude their stellar density at the truncation position. The
retrieval of these galaxy limits will be very beneficial for the study
of stellar haloes and also for elucidating dark matter halo sizes. We
will also present our future plans for improving all these results by
making use of JWST and Euclid forthcoming data.

Thanks
Chris and Carolina

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Department Seminar - Fernando Buitrago
Time: Apr 8, 2022 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/69749792158

Meeting ID: 697 4979 2158