[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - April 29th Renske Smit

Mon Apr 25 11:09:13 CEST 2022

On Friday, April 29th Renske Smit (LJMU) will be giving our next seminar
via Zoom.

*An ALMA view of galaxies in the Epoch of Reionization*

In the past decade hundreds of galaxy candidates have been identified in
the Epoch of Reionization (EoR), selected from their rest-frame UV
light. Only a handful of these sources, however, have spectroscopic
redshift determinations and we have limited understanding of their
properties. ALMA is currently transforming this field by identifying
massive ISM reservoirs at z>6.5 from bright [CII] line emission. I will
describe how we obtained the first spectroscopic confirmations of
galaxies in the EoR with ALMA, where Lya often remains undetected due to
the intervening neutral IGM, and how ALMA is now rapidly becoming a
'redshift machine' for the distant Universe. With the spectroscopic
redshifts in hand, we are in a position to start probing the physical
properties of these sources, including their fine structure line ratios,
dust content and temperature, structural properties and low-resolution
kinematics. A picture is starting to form of complex structures within
these galaxies with distinct dusty and UV-bright components which
exhibit different ISM properties. Moreover, we find evidence that some
of these galaxies are already rotation-dominated disk-like sources, just
800 million years after the
Big Bang.

We are trying something new this year with leaving the Zoom call open
after the formal hour of the seminar is up to allow the speaker, if they
wish, to chat informally with anyone who is interested.

Thanks
Chris and Carolina

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Department Seminar - Renske Smit
Time: Apr 29, 2022 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/69717398551

Meeting ID: 697 1739 8551