[Astronomy seminar] Thesis Seminar - May 25th Aurore Betranhandy

Mon May 23 16:03:02 CEST 2022

On *Wednesday* May 25th at 10:30 in FC 61 and on Zoom Aurore Betranhandy
(Stockholm) will be giving a seminar on her thesis work. Please note the
unusual day due to the klämdag on Friday.

*Neutrino interactions and axion emission impact on core-collapse
supernova simulations*

Core-Collapse Supernovae (CCSNe) are important phenomena in the scope of
nucleosynthesis and, as the final stage of massive stars’ life, they are
key processes in the understanding of stellar evolution. They also are
the birthplace of neutron stars and black holes, therefore they play a
major role in the modelling and understanding of compact object mergers.
While CCSNe have been observed for a long time, it is mainly through
electromagnetic radiation. This channel gives us precious information
about the explosion energy and nucleosynthesis, but fails to inform us
about the collapse and initial explosion mechanism. While other
observational channels are becoming available, through neutrino
detection and gravitational waves, we are still waiting for a galactic
CCSN to get an appropriate signal giving us insight on the explosion
mechanism. We, therefore, have to rely on simulations for now. CCSN
simulations have been performed for 60 years, improving decade after
decade, and are now able to produce systematic self-consistent
explosions. Several parameters impact the final outcome of our
simulations, originating from different physics treatments, such as the
gravity, neutrino transport and interactions, micro-physics through the
equation of state, or magnetic fields. To understand the explosion
mechanism behind a CCSN, we need to study the impact of each of these
uncertain pieces of physics. In this thesis, I focused on the impact of
the emission of heavy-lepton neutrinos and axions on the explosion,
concentrated on the early proto-neutron star cooling. I explain details
of the CCSN process, as well as some of the particle physics I focused
on. I show how a change in heavy-lepton neutrino and axion emissions can
accelerate the early proto-neutron star cooling and subsequently help
the explosion.

The schedule of upcoming seminars can be found here:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics

Thanks
Chris and Carolina

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Seminar - Aurore Betranhandy
Time: May 25, 2022 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/66204962080