[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Friday April 21st - Tadafumi Matsuno (University of Groningen)

Mon Apr 17 15:45:55 CEST 2023

Dear all,

The next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place on Friday April 21st at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352).

———————————
Speaker: Tadafumi Matsuno (Kapteyn Institute, U. Groningen)
Title: Chemical evolution of disrupted dwarf galaxies in the Milky Way
https://www.albanova.se/event/astronomy-departmental-seminar-tadafumi-matsuno-groningen/

Abstract:
Thanks to the Gaia mission, we can now identify promising candidates for dwarf galaxies that have been accreted and disrupted by the Milky Way as substructures in stellar kinematics.  In this talk, I will briefly summarize a method to identify these kinematic substructures and discuss our efforts to characterize the detailed chemical abundances of stars selected as their members.  We reveal distinct differences in abundance ratios among kinematic substructures, which can be attributed to varying contributions by type Ia supernovae in their chemical enrichments. Additionally, I will show that the chemical abundance ratios of these kinematic substructures offer a unique opportunity to test our understanding of nucleosynthesis of elements.
———————————

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Eliot and Kris

Upcoming Events:

2023-04-26 Alexandra Lereste (SU) <— Note this is on a Wednesday (time TBD)
2023-04-28 Biwei Jiang (Beijing Normal University)
2023-05-05 Natalia Lahen (MPA Garching)

The calendar for later planned seminars is available here<https://ebox.su.se/owa/calendar/75d76b284ca84db1a85c4e021d1133e8@astro.su.se/22bc11d486d04afaa009a9730dd065d65524176602456481514/calendar.html>.
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352
Meeting ID: 610 0207 6352