[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Friday June 2nd - Bibiana Prinoth (Lund University)

Tue May 30 13:19:23 CEST 2023

Dear all,

It is my pleasure to announce the next SU astronomy departmental seminar that will take place on Friday June 2nd at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352).

———————————
Speaker: Bibiana Prinoth (Lund University)

Title: Exploring the atmosphere of the ultra-hot Jupiter WASP-189 b
<https://www.albanova.se/event/astronomy-departmental-seminar-tadafumi-matsuno-groningen/>
https://www.albanova.se/event/astronomy-departmental-seminar-bibiana-prinoth-lund/

Abstract:
With the discovery of the first exoplanet orbiting a Sun-like star, a class of highly irradiated planets has emerged that has fundamentally changed our view of planetary systems. These planets are different from the planets in our own solar system and therefore offer a unique perspective on the atmospheric chemistry and thermal structure of the hottest extrasolar gas giants.

One of these gas giants is the ultra-hot Jupiter WASP-189 b, a planet very close to its host star and subject to extreme conditions. Although it has not been studied as intensively as its slightly colder siblings, the dynamical effects and richness of the transmission spectrum of this planet have caught our attention and raise the question: What else is there to see?

In this talk, we will study the atmosphere of this planet as seen in the transmission spectrum using high-resolution spectrographs from around the world. After the first study published last year, in which we discovered nine different species, including titanium oxide, we have followed up with two more spectrographs to paint a more coherent picture that allows us to detected and investigate asymmetries in the signals. In this talk, I will take you from the observations to the discoveries and their implications for chemistry, temperature and dynamics, and try to close the circle by placing the planet in the larger context of ultra-hot Jupiters.

———————————

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Eliot and Kris

*Note, this will be the finals seminar before the summer break. Seminars will resume again in September.

Upcoming Events:

2023-06-09 PhD Defence Mattia Sirressi - no seminar
Summer break until September

The calendar for later planned seminars is available here<https://ebox.su.se/owa/calendar/75d76b284ca84db1a85c4e021d1133e8@astro.su.se/22bc11d486d04afaa009a9730dd065d65524176602456481514/calendar.html>.
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352
Meeting ID: 610 0207 6352