[Astronomy seminar] Reminder: Astronomy departmental seminar Friday September 1st at 10:30am - Janez Kos (University of Ljubljana)

Fri Sep 1 09:44:34 CEST 2023

Dear all,

This is a reminder of the weekly SU astronomy departmental seminar that
will take place in about 45 minutes, *at 10:30am in room FC61* (AlbaNova
building, 6th floor) *and on zoom*
(https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352). This is the first
seminar after the summer break and as usual, we encourage you to attend
in person if possible.

***Speaker: Janez Kos (Ljubljana University) *
*Title: Tidal tails of open clusters*
https://www.albanova.se/event/janez-kos/
Abstract:
Tidal tails of open clusters have first been observed only in the recent
couple of years. Like the tails of globular clusters and satellite
galaxies, they can be used as important probes of gravitational fields,
galactic evolution, disk kinematics, and stellar evolution. Recent
progress has been possible with the arrival of Gaia data releases, so we
can find tails of structures 1000 times smaller than globular clusters
in the environment 1000 times denser than the halo. I will present a
probabilistic method that does not directly rely on finding
overdensities. We use simulations of cluster disintegration to define
likelihoods for Gaia stars to be cluster members, and simulations of the
Galactic stellar population to define membership probabilities. In an
analysis of 500 clusters, we reliably find stars in tidal tails 1000 pc
away from cluster cores. I will also discuss the need for precise radial
velocities (not used in our method), obtaining more complete mass
functions, and observed oddities that hint at numerous kinematical
processes that shape the tidal tails.

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur and Adélaïde

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Upcoming Events:

2023-09-08 Mattia Bulla (University of Ferrara)
2023-09-15 SU-UU conference (no astronomy seminar)
2023-09-22 Henk Spruit (MPIA)

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352
Meeting ID: 610 0207 6352