[Astronomy seminar] Reminder: Astronomy departmental seminar Friday November 17 at 10:30am - Alberto Saldana Lopez (Stockholm University)

Fri Nov 17 10:07:34 CET 2023

Dear all,

This is a reminder of the weekly SU astronomy departmental seminar that
will take place in about 23 minutes, at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova
building, 6th floor) and on zoom
(https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352). As usual, we
encourage you to attend in person if possible.
___________________

Speaker: Alberto Saldana Lopez (Stockholm University)
Title: A low-redshift look to reionization with star-forming galaxies
Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/alberto-saldana-lopez

Abstract:
One of the current hot topics in galaxy evolution is the so-called
Cosmic Reionization, the last major cosmic phase by which the Universe
transitioned from a neutral to a (mostly) ionized state, happening
around z = 6-9. The main responsible sources for reionization are still
under debate, but star-forming galaxies seem to be the likeliest due to
their high number density at early epochs respect to Active Galactic Nuclei.

However, directly probing ionizing (also called Lyman Continuum, LyC)
radiation from galaxies at the Epoch of Reionization is difficult, since
the escaping photons are likely absorbed by the remaining neutral gas in
the intergalactic medium (IGM). Therefore, in order to study the role of
star-forming galaxies during Reionization, we need to rely on indirect
indicators of such emergent LyC radiation. The low-redshift Universe
offers a unique window to study the properties of LyC-emitting galaxies,
since the IGM attenuation is negligible and, at the same time, a full
suite of multi-wavelength observations is available both from space and
the ground.

Recent HST campaigns such as the Low-Redshift Lyman Continuum Survey
(LzLCS) has nearly tripled the number of LyC detections at low-redshift.
The LzLCS has revealed that compact star formation, high ionization
parameters, strong and narrow LyA emission, low dust-attenuation and the
presence of weak absorption lines seem to characterize the spectra of
the strongest LyC emitters. In this talk, I will present some of the
main results of the LzLCS and explain how this data set has changed our
understanding of the mechanisms for LyC escape. We will also discuss the
implications of these results for the high redshift community in the
JWST era.
___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur and Adélaïde

Upcoming Events:

2023-11-24 Aline Chu
2023-12-01 Heitor Ernandes
2023-12-08 Quentin Perceval Xavier Pognan
--- Winter break ---

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352
Meeting ID: 610 0207 6352