[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Wednesday February 21 at 10:00 am - Johan Richard

Wed Feb 21 08:37:28 CET 2024

Dear all,

This is a reminder that the next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place today at 10:00 am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09).
After the seminar, we will have a Q&A session about the BlueMUSE instrument with the speaker.
___________________

Speaker: JOHAN RICHARD (University of Lyon)
Title: Integral Field Spectroscopy in lensing cluster fields - recent results and prospects of the BlueMUSE instrument.
Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/johan_richard <https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/johan_richard>

Abstract: The advent of panoramic integral field spectrographs, such as the MUSE (Multi Unit Spectroscopic Explorer) instrument on the Very Large Telescope, has offered the new capability to obtain efficient and massive spectroscopy in very crowded fields. When combined with massive clusters serving as gravitational telescopes, it has truly improved the modelling of cluster mass distribution and extended our view of distant background galaxies. I will present some of the main results obtained with MUSE on a large sample of galaxy clusters, focusing in particular on the lensed Lyman-alpha emitters and their circumgalactic medium.
The excellent performance of MUSE calls for the development of additional panoramic integral field spectrographs. I will describe the current development of BlueMUSE, a blue-optimised, medium spectral resolution, panoramic integral field spectrograph under development for the Very Large Telescope. With an optimised transmission down to 350 nm, a large FoV (at least 1 arcmin2) and a higher spectral resolution (λ/Δλ ~ 4000) compared to its predecessor, BlueMUSE will open up a new range of galactic and extragalactic science cases allowed by its specific capabilities. Among these science cases I will focus on the prospects of BlueMUSE in lensing cluster fields.
___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur, Adélaïde, and Sanja

Upcoming Events:

2024-03-01 ** No seminar **
2024-03-08 Jack William Edmund Mallinson
2024-03-15 Joe Lewis
2024-03-22 Khaled Al Moulla
2024-03-29 ** No seminar **
2024-04-05 Simon Ringqvist
2024-04-12 Alex Riley

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09