[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Friday April 05 at 10:30am - Simon Ringqvist (Stockholm University)

Tue Apr 2 10:13:05 CEST 2024

Dear all,

The next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place on Friday April 5 at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09).

___________________

Speaker: Simon Ringqvist (Stockholm University)

Title: Unveiling the Accretion Process at Planetary Masses

Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/simon_ringqvist

Abstract:

Our understanding of the magnetospheric accretion process in young stars has advanced significantly in the last few decades. It is only very recently however, that we have been able to also study accreting planetary mass companions. I will defend my PhD thesis on this topic, on 2024-05-27, and today’s talk will therefore provide a scientific overview of how we can study these fascinating objects with spectroscopy and atmospheric variability studies. Do giant planets accrete matter as stars do, by funneling it along magnetic field lines, or are their magnetic fields too weak? How long can the accretion phase actually last in these objects? Evidence shows that it does not always cease after a few Myr, especially not in Delorme 1 (AB)b where it seemingly continued for 40 Myr. Concluding the talk will be a brief overview of how upcoming ESO pathfinder instruments will drastically improve our ability to detect planetary mass accretors.

___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur, Adélaïde, and Sanja

Upcoming Events:

2024-04-10 Yutong He (**Seminar on WEDNESDAY**)

2024-04-12 Alex Riley

2024-04-19 Arthur Choplin

2024-04-26 Dominique Petit

2024-05-03 Gang Li

2024-05-08 Ivo (**Seminar on WEDNESDAY**)

2024-05-10 Ray Jayawardhana (**Seminar on KLÄMDAG**)

2024-05-14 Gayathri Viswanath (**Seminar on TUSDAY**)

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:

https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics

(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09

Meeting ID: 622 1126 9644