[SocBiN] Post-doctoral scholarship in Lund University

Gemma Atkinson gemma.atkinson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 14:32:39 CEST 2021

Dear all,

Please help me spread the word about a post-doc position available my group in Lund University:

https://atkinson-lab.com/post-doctoral-scholarship-in-bioinformatics/ <https://atkinson-lab.com/post-doctoral-scholarship-in-bioinformatics/>

In the Atkinson lab our aim is to make fundamental discoveries about the evolution of protein function and structure. We work mainly with bioinformatic methods, developing our own tools and taking advantage of the huge amounts of available genome and predicted proteome sequences. One of our main research directions concerns toxin-antitoxin (TA) systems of bacteria and bacteriophages. Our studies of toxSAS TA enzymes that dramatically inhibit bacterial growth though producing poisonous nucleotides, or modifying tRNA have recently been recently published in PNAS [1] and Molecular Cell [2], respectively, and our recent discovery of a hyperpromiscuous antitoxin domain that we have named Panacea is currently in revision [3]. As a mechanism of defence against bacteriophages, TAs have significance for developing new biotechnological tools, as well as understanding and eventually overcoming natural barriers to phage therapy for treating antibiotic resistant infections. Our work on toxin-antitoxins, and their evolution, structure, function and biotechnological applications was recently supported by a generous project grant from the Knut and Alice Wallenberg foundation (https://kaw.wallenberg.org/grundforskning-djupt-inne-i-bakteriernas-arvsmassa <https://kaw.wallenberg.org/grundforskning-djupt-inne-i-bakteriernas-arvsmassa>).

The post-doctoral scholarship will be an opportunity for scientific development in protein bioinformatics and skill acquisition in coding and web development. Building on the success of our gene-neighbourhood analysis Python tool FlaGs (www.webflags.se) [4], you will be participating in the development of bioinformatic methods for the discovery of new exciting biology. The bioinformatic predictions will be tested experimentally in our group and through our collaborative network.