[SocBiN] PhD position

Arne Elofsson arne.elofsson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 15:42:04 CET 2024

Please forward this add to any relevant students

PhD student in Bioinformatics

*Project description *Your studies in Bioinformatics will be in the
project: *"Deep Learning for protein structure prediction”.*

Protein structure is essential for understanding their function and
developing drugs targeting proteins. Recently, a deep learning method that
can predict the structure of most proteins was made freely available and
released a database with predicted protein structures. However, proteins do
not act alone - they work together with other proteins. Therefore, the next
major challenge is using these methods for predicting protein-protein
interactions. Our initial studies have shown that it is possible to predict
accurate structures of a large part of dimeric proteins using either a
modified version of AlphaFold2 or AlphaFold-multimer. However, many
proteins cannot be built accurately, nor can we always distinguish
interacting from non-interacting protein pairs and building larger
complexes accurately is still an unsolved problem. In this project, we are
recruiting additional Ph.D. student to leverage recent advances in machine
learning to create better deep-learning models to predict protein-protein
interactions and to apply these methods to biologically relevant problems.

The Elofsson group is located at the Science for Life Laboratory. Elofsson
has worked on protein structure predictions for more than two decades. He
has worked on various techniques using machine learning and other
computational techniques. Our most important contributions to this work are
the methods he has developed to identify the quality of protein models,
Pcons and various versions of ProQ. The group comprises 5 PhD students, two
postdocs and one senior researcher.

https://www.su.se/english/about-the-university/work-at-su/available-jobs/phd-student-positions-1.507588?rmpage=job&rmjob=22761&rmlang=UK

Yours

Arne

  Arne Elofsson                  Science for Life Laboratory
  Tel:+46-(0)70 695 1045   Stockholm University
  http://bioinfo.se/               Box 1031,
  Email: arne at bioinfo.se   17121 Solna, Sweden
  Twitter: @arneelof
  Mastodon: @arneelof at fediscience.org