[Bolincentret-at-su.se] RA5 isotope and climate workshop on 20-22 Oct - Agenda

Qiong Zhang qiong.zhang at natgeo.su.se
Fri Oct 3 15:56:34 CEST 2014

Dear colleagues,

RA5 in Bolin Centre is organising a workshop on "Isotope and climate”, at Stockholm University on 20-22 October. The workshop will exchange the recent research on understanding the processes behind isotope signals in paleoclimate archives, together with modern satellite measurements and atmospheric modelling.  Various stable isotopic signals from natural archives are widely used to reconstruct the past climate, today we also have satellite measured and atmospheric modelled stable isotope, enable us to better understand the physical processes behind the isotopic signals. There are strong research interests among Bolin centre scientists on these activities. This workshop aims to exchanges ideas and establish collaboration between Bolin Centre and other international research groups. The workshop includes the presentations from guest speakers and Bolin scientists, as well as scientific question oriented discussions. We will address the following questions:

1) What is the best way to compare and use the various water isotope proxies and records?
2) What regions and time frames deserve special attention?
3) What are the main factors that controls respectively tropical and extratropical (high latitude) water isotope dynamics? Do the subtropics have a problem?
4) How comparable or how different are d18O and dD records from various types of carriers (ice, lipids, forms, trees, speleothems) as well as from satellite measurements and atmospheric modelling?
5) What are the particular strenghts and weakness of the various proxies? Where lie the main errors and uncertainties?
6) Can we come to a smart way of reconstructing d-excess?

The agenda is attached. All are welcome!

Best regards,
Qiong, Rienk, Francesco